Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Cans and Can'ts of Motherhood

It seems like I have spent most (almost half) of my life as a dedicated mother. This requires many sacrifices of personal choice. I cannot decide to go on a spontaneous trip to a far-away land. I cannot live anywhere I want because I always have to make sure that a good local school is nearby. I cannot even cook whatever I want to have for dinner each night (unless I want World War III at the dinner table). While there are a long list of "can'ts", there are so many things I would never have experienced without the joy of motherhood. For example, I have learned to do many things more efficiently because of having a crying toddler waiting. I can pack the best suitcase or bag for trips because I know what items I need in a pinch when we are away from home. I can prepare a meal that all seven of the people in my family can enjoy (and that's no small feat).

While there are many "cans" and "can'ts" of motherhood, I don't believe I would grown to be the patient, loving, and diplomatic person I am today without experiencing the joys and pains of parenthood. I wouldn't change my life for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment