Sunday, January 15, 2012

Superwoman?

Every time someone calls me "superwoman", I have to laugh a little. Yes, I have many responsibilities, but doesn't everyone? One of the questions asked most often of me is how I get everything done. The answer is I DON'T. My house is not perfectly immaculate. My laundry isn't always done. My children don't always eat a 4-course meal for dinner. I allow myself the luxury of imperfection so I can focus on bigger goals for that day. I know I can't do EVERYTHING, and that is okay. Instead, I do what I can.

One way that I set myself up for success by "eating the frog", which means I don't avoid difficult or tedious tasks. When something really needs to be done, I don't make excuses -- I just do it. Sure, there are more enjoyable ways to spend my time than writing that 10-page paper or working with my kids on their multiplication tables or cleaning out the refrigerator, but sometimes those are the things need to be done. Procrastination causes unnecessary stress. Getting important things done makes my life easier in the long run.

I also keep track of when I need to do things. I have an old-fashioned paper planner that I write everything down in. Due dates for bills, kids' activities, work schedules, and even assignments that I need to do are always close at hand. When I have a big task (like that 10-page paper), I break it down into smaller chunks, spread out over a few weeks. It makes that seemingly difficult task much more manageable, and the finished product is better because I did not feel crazed at 2:00 am trying to crank out last-minute quality.

A little bit of organization goes a long way. Allowing yourself some room for imperfection (yes, it is okay if there are dishes in the sink) takes some of the stress off the table. Then, you can focus on doing the things that are most important (which may be reading a story to your child before bedtime instead of doing those dishes). Take one day at a time and EAT THE FROG!


No comments:

Post a Comment