Wednesday, February 1, 2012

No More Fear

As I have stated in previous posts, mistakes have been a big part of my life. Most of the ones I have made are because I allowed things to happen, instead of actively participating in my own life. I thought I had no other choices, didn't think what I wanted mattered, failed to act in a timely manner, or assumed any action I would take would end in failure. It seemed easier to tolerate certain situations, or let someone else make the tough decisions, even if it made me miserable in the end. Lesson learned.

Going along with things in life (especially things that are NOT what you want) only keeps people from respecting you. This makes you a victim by your own design. It is easy to bully someone who never fights back, after all.  I have spent much of my life stuck in this line of thinking. In my mind, if I said the things that I actually thought, did the things I really wanted to, or stood up for myself, the people in my life would stop loving me. I was scared of losing everything (which is totally illogical). The funny thing is -- I have found just the opposite to be true in most cases. The more I take charge of my life, the more the people I love rally in support of my positive changes. It is truly an empowering feeling!

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and love today.

These words hang on a plaque in my kitchen. They are a daily reminder of all of the difficulties I have overcome in my life and those yet to come. I used to avoid doing what was in my heart because of FEAR. Fear of the unknown can be very crippling, but before you give up, it is important to analyze the situation in more logical terms. Instead of letting fear take control, think through the options. What is the best thing that could happen? What is the worst? Most likely, the outcome will fall somewhere in between...or will be something you never even considered.

Currently, I'm facing a situation that I have allowed to have control over a portion of my life for long time. I have decided that I will not sit idly by and let it continue. In order to change things, I must step out of my comfort zone. I know the worst thing that could happen, and it doesn't scare me. I have been through worse;  I will survive this as well. Making the decision to act takes courage. There has to be a time where you can stand up and boldly say," I AM NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!" to whatever situation fear keeps you from tackling. For me, that time is now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment