Sunday, February 12, 2012

Perspectives

When I was a teenager, I KNEW adults didn't understand anything. When I was ten, I KNEW my dad was invincible. When I was 21, I KNEW I was adult enough to make life-altering decisions. When I was pregnant with my first child, I KNEW parenting would be easier than everyone told me it would be. Its funny how the things YOU KNOW to be true drastically change as you get older. The things you thought you knew inside and out, turn out to be the things you least understood -- because of your perspective. Of course I was wrong about adults, my dad (although I still see him as amazing, but maybe not invincible), and my own maturity, but I didn't know that at the time. Having kids has been one of the hardest and most selfless jobs I have ever had, but has also been so rewarding. 

The funny thing about perspective is that you never truly understand someone's thought process until you are in their shoes and see life through their eyes. People who you assume are your best of friends, may turn out to be a "frien-emy". People who you assume don't understand how you feel, may have experienced your exact situation before (which you may or may not have knowledge of). People who say they are acting in your best interest, may only be promoting their own agenda. In your own perspective, you cannot possibly know where others are coming from.

The thing I learned about perspectives is that EVERYONE has one...and they are sure theirs is the "right" one. But...that depends on who's eyes you are looking through.  Next time you assume you KNOW someone's intentions, think about the old adage...perspective is everything. Most importantly, know that perspectives can change over time, so what you once knew, may not even be true anymore. Maybe you don't KNOW everything you think you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment