Monday, February 27, 2012

Born in the Wrong Era

I was born in the wrong era. Unlike many women of today, I wish I would have been an adult in the 1940s or 1950s. Nothing would have made me happier than to take care of my home and family -- and that be my defining role. The "June Cleaver" way would have suited me just fine. Life is so much more complicated than it was back then. I enjoy and crave simplicity on a daily basis. Women today have so much more juggling than at that time. Now we are supposed to be incredible moms, devoted wives, room mothers at our childrens' school, well-educated, and driven workers. So many hats to wear, so little time. Most women take on too much and are strung out trying to fulfill all these roles. 

One of the reasons I wish we could all go back to the past is because families were more cohesive in that time also. Since each person in the family had a place (dads worked, mothers stayed home and took on the main responsibility of children and home, and kids just had to be kids), there was a level of consistency and comfort that was present in society. There were fewer divorces and single-parent households. People lived within their means. The simple life with a few creature comforts made most people happy. I love that idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment